
The Gist: Hello everyone, and Happy October! Last week, we finished up our discussion of The Jungle, and today we will begin our conversation about a much more positive book, Animal Camp by Kathy Stevens! I'm very excited about this month's book, due to the fact that I have heard nothing but good things about it, and about the author. So let's get started!We read the first 45 pages of the book, in which Stevens introduces herself and Catskill Animal Sanctuary, a farm animal sanctuary located in New York State. She explains that the book is split into two sections—the first describing Stevens' summer away from the sanctuary at her partner David's house with three rescued animals which she calls "summer camp," and the second part about her bringing the three animals back to the sanctuary. The three animals are Franklin the pig, Hope the horse, and Tucker the cow, and all three are sort of outcasts at the sanctuary. Stevens wants to give them special attention in this summer camp, and also wants to learn lessons from the three animals.
Summer camp turns out to be a great success, and our reading stopped pretty much at the end of the summer. The three animals have become close friends, and Stevens comes out with some important insights.
The Discussion: This is a very lovely and easy book to read, due to its hopeful and gentle nature. Who doesn't like reading about happy animals? I, for one, am a sucker for this story. I leave you with a couple discussion points to get the conversation started. I look forward to hearing from you this week!
1. Have you ever visited an animal sanctuary? If so, which one, and how was your experience? If not, do you want to visit one? Why?
2. Stevens talks about her biography a little at the beginning, and she mentions that she turned down an offer to head a charter high school in order to start Catskill Animal Sanctuary, which was a dream of hers. What is your dream career, and do you plan on going through with it? Why, or why not?
The Assignment: Please read pages 46 to 95 of Animal Camp for our discussion on Monday, October 11.
~VN Book Club Hostess Lyndsay Orwig
I personally have never been to an animal sanctuary, though I would absolutely love to check one out. I've heard that they are just wonderful places to visit, and very peaceful.
ReplyDeleteI had the fortune of vising Animal Acres for one of its galas, and the experience was incredible. It's one thing to have compassion for animals, but another entirely to have a huge cow lick your face and play with baby goats! I think anyone who's on the fence of going vegan should visit one—sanctuaries are deal-sealers!
ReplyDeleteOnce while visiting Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary (an awesome place!), I got a chance to hang out with the cutest baby sheep. It was a blast.
ReplyDeleteFarm animal sanctuaries help people recognize that these are individual animals with personalities, not just meat-producing machines. If you've never been, I highly recommend it.
Thanks for your comments so far! Unfortunately, I have never visited a sanctuary myself. I do hope to go to one in the near future, because I've heard they're amazing. And this book is definitely making me want to go to one, due to its wonderful stories about the individual personalities of each animal. I hope to hear from more of you!
ReplyDelete~VN Book Club Hostess Lyndsay Orwig
I am a proud volunteer of CAS. I have been helping Kathy and her cause for almost three years. Having this opportunity to be close to the animals on a daily basis has been a light in my life since the first day. Seeing the state in which they arrive is often heartbreaking, but to be exposed to the transformation( not only physically but emotionally) of these beautiful loving animals has changed my life.My daily wish is for more people to see that these beings are not to be used but to be loved.
ReplyDelete