
The Gist: Good afternoon everyone, and welcome to the final week of our discussion of The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life by Melisser Elliott. We've had some great conversation this month, and I hope that we can have even more in Feburary when we begin Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. Purchase your copy now from the VN Store, to be ready for our discussion!I asked you to read the rest of the book for this week, which was only one chapter. In this final chapter Elliott talks about a bunch of DIY projects, including gardening, dessert stands, how to frost a cupcake (the fancy way), and plenty of arts and crafts. Want to make your own clothing? Well, Elliott has you covered in this chapter. This is the chapter that I think makes this book unique to other vegan lifestyle books. Being terrible at DIY projects myself, I found this chapter to be a handy guide.
The Discussion: Here are two discussion points to help get the conversation started. I look forward to hearing from you!
1. Have you ever had your own garden—be it a backyard, community, or urban garden? What was your experience like?
2. What's your favorite DIY project? Also, what project do you aspire to do, but haven't done yet?
The Assignment: Please read the first three sections of Eating Animals for our discussion on January 31.
~VN Book Club Hostess Lyndsay Orwig
I've only grown herbs in my home. In our home I keep lots of living plants and flowers. I would really enjoy having my own garden in my backyard but I just can't seem to find the time.
ReplyDeleteThe DIY Dessert Stands is my favorite project in the book. I love to make sweets and have nothing pretty to put my treats on for serving. This looks like a fun project and I hope to make a dessert stand later this week. If it turns out well I might make another one for a friend who loves to make sweets too.
How do i sign up for the book club?
ReplyDeleteHi there Anonymous,
ReplyDeleteNo signing up necessary! All you have to do to participate in the VegNews Book Club is to follow along with our reading, and comment each week in order to take part in the discussion.
~VN Book Club Hostess Lyndsay Orwig
I just discovered this blog. "Eating Animals" is the only book I've read on your site so far.
ReplyDeleteHappy Wednesday everyone! It seems to be a slower week for discussion, but thanks for your great comment, Crystal, and welcome to all of the newcomers!
ReplyDeleteI helped my mother to garden when I was much younger, but we didn't grow much—just blackberries and raspberries, I believe. I also lived with a couple girls a few years ago, and they really had a good garden going! I would love to start my own garden, but at this time, I live in a tiny apartment right in the downtown area of San Francisco, so there is literally no place to garden—not even an appropriate window space for herbs. Maybe someday.
As mentioned in the post, I haven't done too many DIY projects. However, I would love to be able to sew and/or knit.
I look forward to reading more comments!
~VegNews Book Club Hostess Lyndsay Orwig
I've been wanting to garden for years, but have no space in my tiny philly apartment. I've had 3 attempts at a windowsill herb garden, and none of them have fared very well. Philly offers a lot of community garden opportunities, where you can lease a little spot of land to grow your own stuff, and I'm really hoping to take part in it this year.
ReplyDeleteI'm a total crafter, so I've done lots of projects. Currently I'm crocheting a baby blanket for my boyfriend's nephew. This is my first blanket and it's coming along really well. So exciting! My sewing skills are minimal at best, but I'd love to get them up to speed to make my own clothes, accessories and bags.
And I agree that the dessert stands in the book are a cute idea! I've been scouring thrift stores looking for vintage plates, cups and candle holders to make some of my own!
I really want to pick up crocheting again! I really liked the headbands and cupcake holders you featured in the book. That is something I'm really interested in making.
ReplyDelete