Friday, February 11, 2011

The Summary: Hello everyone, and happy Friday! We are at the end of our second week of our discussion of Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer, and just as like the first week, we've had some great conversation.

First, I asked you what your thoughts were on Frank Reese, aka "the last poultry farmer." Also, I asked if you would still be a vegetarian or vegan if all farmers were like him. Everyone who responded would still not eat animals even if only family farms existed. Of course, things would be better for the animals if all farms were like Reese's, but many of us agree that it's not about the farm, but using animals at all.

Second, I asked you why you think so many people still live in denial about what they eat. I honestly believe this is a hard question to answer, due to the fact that it pertains to the complexity of the human mind. I did enjoy reading your ideas on the subject. It's an upsetting issue, and one that should be brought up into conversation frequently. Perhaps, videos like the recently released Farm to Fridge will help push people in the right direction.

Just as a reminder, we will be discussing the sixth section of Eating Animals on Monday, February 14. Have a great weekend!

~VN Book Club Hostess Lyndsay Orwig

No comments:

Post a Comment