Monday, March 21, 2011

The Gist: Good afternoon VegNews Book Clubbers! It's hard to imagine, but we are now in our final week of discussing Veganist by Kathy Freston. I received some great questions for our Q+A with Kathy, and her answers will be posted with the wrap up on Friday. We will then have a week off from the book club, and will begin to discuss Vegan's Daily Companion by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau on Monday, April 4. Speaking of which, we have signed copies of the book in the VN Store, so be sure to get your copy before the discussion begins!

The rest of Veganist consisted of the final "Promise," and the afterwards, which details helpful tips in making the switch to veganism. The 10th promise says that a vegan diet will help you to evolve along with the rest of the world. By adopting a vegan diet, you are saying no to the terrible conditions of animal agriculture, and helping to create a more peaceful world. Freston mentions that our food choices are one of the best ways to express your worldly views, and that more people are becoming aware of this fact. All in all, veganism is catching on, and it's up to us to keep it going!

As mentioned above, the "Afterwards" includes tips from Freston regarding making the switch, like removing one animal from your diet at a time and how to eat vegan while traveling. There is also a frequently asked questions section, in which she has Dr. Neal Barnard contribute answers. Finally, she includes menus for a total of three weeks, a vegan shopping list, as well as a list of cookbooks and helpful websites.

The Discussion: Here are two discussion points to help get the conversation started. I look forward to hearing from you!

1. What's your favorite vegan-related website—blog, or other—and why?

2. What did you think of Kathy Freston's new book? Do you think it will help spread the vegan message to more people?

The Assignment: Please read the introduction to Day 115 of Vegan's Daily Companion for our discussion on Monday, April 4.

~VN Book Club Hostess Lyndsay Orwig

5 comments:

  1. My favorite vegan-related website is www.vegan.com Daily I read Erik's blogs and love his writing style. After reading his book "Vegan The New Ethnics of Eating" it was what made me realize that I needed to be vegan.(That book was such an eye opener.)
    Of course vegnews.com and vegweb.com are my daily websites to visit. I love your magazine and the websites are such an awesome addition!

    Overall her book is well written and I really enjoyed reading it. The information and "promises" keep me interested and want to keep reading on. To me it's an attention grabber. The book is balanced out. (I mean some books I have read seemed to preachy.) She presents the information without going overboard. Personally, I think that it will help spread the message of veganism to people. Now that I am done with the book I am passing it on to one of my friends who isn't a vegan but is looking more into veganism. This book will be a good one for her to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like vegsource.com for it's numerous articles and really any site with easy recipes.
    I really have enjoyed reading the book. I do believe it will help spread the vegan message. I think it will help people realize they can make small shifts if they can't/won't make a big leap and not give up if they slip up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone,

    Thanks for the comments, Crystal and Lulu. Some of my favorite vegan food websites are The Post Punk Kitchen, Urban Vegan, and Julie Hasson's website. Unfortunately, I don't usually get much time to browse the internet, but when I do, those are the ones I visit first.

    I'm glad you really liked the book, and I look forward to reading more comments. The Q+A with Kathy Freston will be posted this Friday. See you then!

    ~VN Book Club Hostess Lyndsay Orwig

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite website right now is my.crazysexylife.com. I love Kris Carr, and find her book and website very motivating. They have both helped me to eat healthier and change my lifestyle. I was already a vegan, but not the most healthy, so I recommend her resources to everyone.

    I did find Kathy Freston's book very informative and inspiring. It was a great reminder of why I do what I do, and has increased my passion for promoting a vegan diet and fighting for animal rights. I'm thinking that anyone who reads it will be effected in some way, it's just a matter of getting them to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry I missed out on this whole discussion! I picked up the Veganist about 6 weeks ago while on a Book Store Date with my husband. After a chapter or two, thought we might try vegan for lent w/ occ fish; but by end of same weekend, we went cold turkey (literally! LOL!) and have been vegan diet ever since! Kathy's book is EXTREMELY effective in presenting the info in a very straightforward manner that really guides you toward making the logical choice of plant-based diet. I found it very compelling, in all aspects. This weekend we are launching Meals for Health EarthSave program at our Sacramento Food Bank, w/ several amazing doctors/ dieticians/ specialists coming out to encourage 21 new people as they transition to plant-based diet for a 30-day trial! http://www.earthsave.org/index.html I am privileged to be able to volunteer with my daughter to help out with this program. I'm convinced...my next transition will be leaning into a career focused on encouraging others toward Veganism! Thanks SO much to Kathy!!! And, good for her on Ellen & today on Oprah!!!

    ReplyDelete