
The Summary: Good afternoon VegNews Book Clubbers! Thanks for a great first week of conversation, in which we are discussing The Bond by Wayne Pacelle. Being the president of HSUS, Pacelle deals with animal-rights issues every day, which I'm sure gives him many stories to tell. I'm glad he wrote a book to share his experience with others, and to further help the cause.
I asked three questions last Monday to get the conversation started, and I want to thank Sock and Amy D. for participating this week! First, I asked if you think we could ever fully mend the broken bond between humans and animals. Both Sock and Amy D. agreed that we will never be able to fully mend it, but we can take steps to make it better. I then asked what you thought of Pacelle's writing style, and both readers have been really happy with it, and the fact that it is very straight-forward and realistic. I definitely agree—I find his style to be very easy to read. Finally, I asked for you to share your thoughts on HSUS, and both answers were extremely positive. As we all know, even within movements, there are differences, and in the past I have heard some people talk negatively about the organization. I think that they fear the fact that it is so big, and a bit more mainstream than other animal-rights organizations. It's important to remember that this is not a bad thing—HSUS has been able to make some very big strides in the animal movement because of its size and influence.
I want to wish everyone a happy weekend and happy reading! We will be discussing the next two chapters of The Bond this coming Monday, May 9.
~VN Book Club Hostess Lyndsay Orwig

No comments:
Post a Comment